Sunday 7 August 2011

Back on the Radar

Personally, if I was this woman, I'd want the track to move faster!

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/08/03/bc-judge-fast-tracks-right-to-die-trial


     I’m really glad this topic is back on the Canadian political and legal system radar again. Assisted termination of life care is an issue that’s near and dear to my heart (I’m sure it will come up here again and again over time), since the 2003 death of my father, during which I was forced to either watch him endure every one of his Orwellian Room 101 nightmares, or face jail time for acquiescing to his requests. I’m so very sorry you lost, Dad, I had a 2-year-old to take care of. Because if I hadn’t had her to consider, I’d be writing this from prison. In spite of the fact that I know I made the only choice possible at the time, part of me has never been able to forgive myself for failing to provide him with the death of his choice, and I’ve chosen to do everything I can to change that for all Canadians as my penance. But it’s also my reward, since it’s an option I want available should I ever be faced with a similar situation. I don’t want the decision to pull the plug after all hope is lost to be a burden placed on my children’s shoulders, and I don’t think I could bring myself to ask them to assist me, though who’s to say where desperation may lead.
     I have no desire to commit suicide, in my mind that is an act of the destitute, who deem they have nothing worth living for, and often an act of selfishness, designed to punish those left behind. I, thankfully, have much to live for, and I want to enjoy it for as long as I possibly can. But death is a perfectly natural part of life, and of course, it comes to us all. In fact, I think death is what makes life such a treasure, gives it meaning, depth, and uniqueness. I, myself, don’t really fear death. Personally, I am hopeful of many new experiences beyond this existence, but I do greatly fear the suffering and loss of dignity that so often are its companions.
     Many victims of long-term degenerative conditions and terminal diseases find themselves stripped of their independence and autonomy, with few care options and services available to them. They endure prolonged and dehumanizing conditions, straining both the emotional and the financial resources of their loved ones. Quality end of life health care, such as more hospices and improved home care, can change this picture, providing comfort, dignity, support and warmth, creating as positive an experience as possible for all those involved. But the concept of death with dignity must also encompass an individual’s right to choose death, not await it.
     There is simply no acceptable excuse to deny an adult person the end of life option of medically assisted termination of life. No government, government official, or special interest group, no matter their (unsubstantiated) personal beliefs, has the right to decide what care options a lucid, autonomous individual may or may not choose. Our end of life wants and desires are as diverse, and as intensely personal, as our beliefs of what lies beyond this life, it’s a disgrace on us as a society that we often do not honour them.
     Most of us don’t dwell too much on estate planning, funeral arrangements, organ and tissue donation and end of life care issues, nor should we. The time is so much better spent enjoying the experience of life. Your own circumstances will determine the value of those first three to you, but the assurance of quality end of life medical care and the legal right to choose one’s own care options would allow us all the ultimate freedom of mind to enjoy all of life’s precious time. And it would allow us to ponder with hope and wonder, rather than worry and fear, what may await us.

No comments:

Post a Comment